Author Topic: Red Algie  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Sam

• Goby
Red Algie
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
I have a large problem with red algae. I have new canister filter system and that did not correct the problem. I was hoping to locate Dave that used to work for Aqua Tropics. He has always been able to help me in the past. If anyone knows him will you please have him email me at Toddsm62@aol.com

Offline reefbegood

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
Re: Red Algie
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:39:45 AM »
protein  skimmer would help a lot better! please come to the meeting and i can help you out
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:53:01 AM »
Here are things that contribute to Cyanobacteria if this is what you have.

neglecting  weekly water changes:

Overstocking a Tank

Inadaquate biological filtration (like Grant said good protien skimmer, etc) and reduced Oxygen levels in water.

lighting the tank with Real Sunlight or too much artificial light, also when lighting spectrum in mostly in the red spectrum.

What Cyano can do:   when it covers corals and sand beds it interferes with gas exchange.  That interuption sometimes causes noxic zones and even worst hydrogen sulfide.  Hydrogen Sulfide is a poisonious gas to aquarium inhabitants.

Come to a meeting and learn as one as Grant said.
come over and see..:)

Offline jimbo

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »
Hi Guys,
Dont forget  the slime algea vacuum, because removal of it(slime algea) is better than storing it in a canister.

drstratton

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »
Hi Guys,
Dont forget  the slime algea vacuum, because removal of it(slime algea) is better than storing it in a canister.

What is the algae vacuum?

Offline Kyleb100

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
Not sure about the slime vacuum, he may mean the typical siphon hose with a nozzle on the end of it.  If you have exhausted all your resources and have to resort to dosing like I did then buy RedCyano RX by Blue Vet from Aqua Tropics.  The way I understand it is it's an antibiotic and since the algae is a bacteria it kills it.  That stuff worked for me in 1 dose, the tank looks better than ever.

drstratton

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »
Thank you, I am not having a problem at the moment, but I will remember that if I ever need to use it! :)