Author Topic: RO/DI Holding Tanks  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Kyleb100

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
RO/DI Holding Tanks
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
Recently I was in the market for some holding tanks for my top off and water changes.  I decided to call Culligan in downtown Kennewick to see what they might have for sell..  Come to find out they have a bunch of old water softener brine tanks out back that they don't mind getting rid off.  They are 16" in diameter and hold 30 gallons water each, so they fit in tight spaces very well.  They are already pre-drilled a few inches from the top for an easy float valve installation.  Mine came with the Styrofoam float valves but I opted to gut them out and use a one piece float valve from Bulk Reef Supply instead.  Once I get everything finished, I'll post a pic of the new ATO/Water Change set up.

Offline Daniel

• Goby
Re: RO/DI Holding Tanks
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
Just wondering if you had any luck with your auto top off tank, if so could you post some pic i'm thinking of one for my 55g i'm working on piecing together.

Offline Kyleb100

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
They are working great!  I have one set up as fresh RO water and one set up for water changes.  I ran some 3/4" tubing out of the water change tank to make water changes easy.  Eventually I would like to install another bulkhead for the water changes but this will do for now.  Each one holds about 30 gallons.

Offline Kyleb100

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
I'd also like to install a sight glass so I can see what my tank levels are... been busy setting up the new tank lately though

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
Nice Set Up Kyle!    I would love to have a couple of those.   I would love to see this in person.  I have been looking at ATOs for quite a while.   

thank you! :)
come over and see..:)

Offline Daniel

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »
Nice they are taller than what I was thinking, i'm looking at putting something under my new tank that is in the works.

Offline Kyleb100

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
Thanks Ed-

I could make it a little neater by routing the 1/4" tubing somehow, but I am still not sure how to do it.  You are more than welcome to come take a look at it, just let me know... I'll PM you my phone number.

Webos-

What dimensions are you looking for?  I may know of something since I spent a long time looking for what I needed.

Offline Daniel

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
Right now i'm not sure how much room I will have in the new stand, i'm looking at extending the base and dropping the floor down to give me some more room.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 07:08:05 AM »
Kyle,
    If I had a tank like the ones you have I could run a pump into it and use a solenoid electronic valve with float in sump to regulate water.    I would like a 30 gallon tank tall like that.  :)    I am using a ten gallon on a 240 gallon system.   Its a lot of work hauling water.

Offline Kyleb100

• Goby
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
Definitely go down to Culligan and ask.. I offered to pay them and they said I could just have them.  Even if they want 10 bucks a piece it's worth it imho... I'd probably use a uni-seal on them instead of a bulkhead next time since they provide more reliable sealing on rounded surfaces.  Koi Joy had some uni-seals in stock the other day when I was there I think.

Offline Nate R

• Goby
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
hey ed,

why dont you hook up your R/O strait to your top off valve with that solenoid your talking about?

Nate R

Offline BeauC

• Goby
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »
I've got some plastic 50 gallon drums at work that they are getting rid of but they would need to be washed out very well.  I would even fill them and wait a week and wash them out a few more times. you'd have to meet me there cause i don't have a truck.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »
hey ed,

why dont you hook up your R/O strait to your top off valve with that solenoid your talking about?

Nate,
    I would love to do that I almost did.   The possibilities of flood damage are greater if I do that.   I am going to a reservoir with small water pump with solenoid and float valve.   I was considering running a line under my house to tank.    I was talked out of it.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:36 AM »
Beau,
    I may take you up on that.   
thanks,
Ed :)

Offline Nate R

• Goby
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »
hey ed,

Nate,
    I would love to do that I almost did.   The possibilities of flood damage are greater if I do that.   I am going to a reservoir with small water pump with solenoid and float valve.   I was considering running a line under my house to tank.    I was talked out of it.

I have herd the folks out there that live in fear about doing the direct connect but i built one with a Float valve, a pressure sensitive switch, and a solenoid that is plugged in to a timer that comes on twice a day. All the connecting line go under the house and the 4gal reserve tank is in the garage with the tank. Works like a champion and never had an issue with it. I just have a T off the 4gal reservoir one going to the top off, one going to the kalkwasser reactor and one going to the mixing container for W/c. Right now the only buckets of water i lift is the one i pull out of the tank while doing water changes because i dont have a drain in my garage.

Nate R