Author Topic: green algae growth on the glass  (Read 2983 times)

Offline jerryB

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
green algae growth on the glass
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »
I seem to be having trouble lately with algae appearing on the glass. I am getting alot of light now with the longer days and the tanks location, which receives light from 6am to 8:30 pm. I also have upgraded my lights to 500 watts of MH 14k and 216 watts of actinic T5. I think light is my problem, but is it the sunlight or the artificial light? I clean the glass and in 2 days time it has significant growth back on it.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Re: green algae growth on the glass
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »
Hello Jerry,
      Certain Light can contribute to algae growth.  More photo period or  less can affect this also. Its often rumored that reflective light from windows produces this type of rapid growing algae.   I would look at other factors besides light that can contribute.  The good thing is algae in beneficial to removing waste.   

When ever we move Live rock from one type of lighting to another there is usually Die off and regrowth.  Die off of  Coraline Algae and other animals(sponge, etc) produces a food source for other algaes.    Keep doing water changes, feed only as needed, keep using filtered (RO/DI) water mixed as required.  Keep the flow going so your benificial bacteria, your skimmer, your filters work at best ability.  Keep Temps as stable as possible.
Check the TDS(total Desolved Solids) in your filtered water.    You could use charcoal, GFO-Granular Feroc Oxide as media to slowly remove phosphates.     You could use a UV sterilizer to slow growth.
I have a spare one sitting around if you want to borrow it.   

What ever you do, do it slowly.   Too much of a change usually ends up with some type of recourse.
The key is balance.
Good Luck,
Ed :)
come over and see..:)

Offline reefbegood

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:59:04 AM »
also age of the bulb might be a factor, how old are the bulbs
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I am not sure what the problem is. The bulbs are brand new. I am getting about 15 hrs of light a day between artificial and natural. I will try a few water changes and see if that helps. I have noticed that my temp has gone from 76 to 77 with the old lights to 80 with the 500 watt MH.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:22:41 AM »
15 hours of light a day is a ton.  Is the algae just a film on the glass?  If so, it's probably diatoms, and you will just need to get a magnetic cleaner and keep the glass wiped down.  It is something we all seem to deal with.

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
Yes it is just a film. I can clean the glass completely off and have it all back in 24 hrs. I have had it before, but never to this extent. I will drop the MH back to 10 hrs a day and see how that works.

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »
I seem to be having trouble lately with algae appearing on the glass. I am getting alot of light now with the longer days and the tanks location, which receives light from 6am to 8:30 pm. I also have upgraded my lights to 500 watts of MH 14k and 216 watts of actinic T5. I think light is my problem, but is it the sunlight or the artificial light? I clean the glass and in 2 days time it has significant growth back on it.

Jerry I think Ed has diagnosed your problem (P04) but we could use a little more info. How big is your tank? How big is your bio-load? What kind of skimmer do you have?
I would recomend you getting a UV, Also look into some more snails to keep that grass mowed but you main problem is Phosphate, To reduce it you need to increase water changes and cut down on feeding, Now if you have a small bio-load then are you using ro-di water as this is a real good source of phosphate removal. Help us with more info Thanks & good luck.
Jeff Lee
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »
Thanks for the advise everyone. I was able to conclude that a combination of poor flow due to one of my 4 powerheads being out, and too much light caused my problem. Water quality is better than it ever has been with phosphates at 0,nitrates at 5, calc. 440, alk at 9 and ph at 8.2. I backed my MH down to 8 hrs a day, replaced the bad powerhead, siphoned out some of the algae from the sand bed and soon enough it all cleared up.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
good to hear you got a handle on it Jerry.  Fighting algae is never fun.