Author Topic: november meeting  (Read 3609 times)

Offline jimbo

• Goby
november meeting
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:12 PM »
hope all can show for the nov. meet at nate's& colleen's house. we have a couple of things we need to work out. club elections are good ballot stuffing fun.road trip to spokane zoom zoom and i will have a stock list from QM for a group order best deal going.plus raffles, sounds like we got a full platter.see ya there

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Re: november meeting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:17:51 AM »
REMINDER:  The meeting is FRIDAY evening, not Saturday due to an existing commitment for Colleen and I.  We are also hoping to be set up to look at differences between T5's and VHO's for Actinic correction on our tank - got the bulbs yesterday and I hope to start swapping over one ballast worth of bulbs tonight.  The reason for this test is we finally got the T5's moved out from under the MH reflectors, added specific reflectors, and still don't see much from the T5's.  So, we were wanting to try going back to VHO's and see if we can get any improvement that way.  Based on talks with Rick quite a while back - he didn't think he got as much out of T5's either - so we decided it was time to put it to the test.

I'd like to make note that Hellolights was contacted Monday - I told them we wanted the bulbs for this Friday's meeting, and they stepped up with a discount and got the bulbs out to us.  Can't thank them enough for the great service!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:25:45 AM by Nate C. »

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »
Nate, I would like to attend this meeting. Can you send me the details? Thanks! Jerry

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
People went to overdriving T5s with Ice cap ballast.    The difference is the bulb life.   You would need a light meter.     Barbie has the t5s with 80 watt bulbs.
Big difference between power consumption and lumens production.  You may want to check with Barbie on these.   She is doing SPS with this set up.
come over and see..:)

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »
I am overdriving with Icecaps - still not happy.   :'(  We aren't that worried about the "light output" at much as the "color intensity" that we get.  Not too worried about the power comsumption either - with the power bill we have already, what's a bit more?   :P
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:51:42 AM by Nate C. »

Offline nacheetah

• Damselfish
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
Jerry, I sent you the details via email. Hope to see you there.
In the works on a 120 GL.

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:41 PM »
Just to chime in on my evaluation.

I had a 240 gal tank setup (8ft long) with 4ea. 4ft VHO bulbs driven by an Ice Cap 660 electronic ballast and used for actinic supplementation.  There was a lot of discussion among the reef forums on how great the T5 bulbs were working for everyone, so I bought a complete 4 bulb T5 actinic setup with reflectors.  I only installed the T5 bulbs on one side of the tank so I could compare the difference between the T5 & VHO's.  The difference was significant, the VHO's produced a lot more light in the true actinic spectrum whereas the T5's produced actinic but also what appeared to be white light which washed out the actinic.  I tried a different set of T5 bulbs to be sure it was not the particular brand of T5's and it did not make much difference.

Bottom line, the VHO's put out more blue and create more fluorescing of the coral colors.  Now if I could find single T-12 tube, 6 ft long reflectors I would be in great shape.

Rick

R   
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:36:22 AM »
Nate, I would like to attend this meeting. Can you send me the details? Thanks! Jerry

Jerry, sorry, I was looking at the rss feed on my iGoogle page and saw Ed's response at the top, and completely missed yours (I thought it was only mine below his).  If you have any questions on directions or anything give me a ring.  I'll PM you my number.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:51:32 AM »
My next question would be which t5 bulb you were using at what spectrum?

thanks,
Ed
come over and see..:)

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »
The bulbs were the URI Super Actinic at 420 nm color spectrum.  Also tried the URI Actinic at the 454 nm color spectrum.  URI is known as the best mfg of fluorescent bulbs for hobby.

They still didn't fluoresce nearly as well as the VHO's

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
Come see tonight, I can give a good demonstration - coloration of the "actinic" bulbs for T5's vs VHO (both UVL - formerly URI Super Actinic).  Definitely an interesting side-by-side to be seen tonight.

Offline Kyleb100

• Goby
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 09:49:47 PM »
Had a good time tonight guys, thank you for having me.  Nate and Colleen(sp?) you guys have a beautiful place and are wonderful hosts.  See you all at the Christmas party.  I'll come more prepared, promise :)

Offline BEAU

• Goby
  • Hawaiian Slipper Lobster
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:53:49 PM »
Thanks for hosting Nate and Colleen.  Nice to see everyone there,  all in all great meeting.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 05:44:45 AM »
Kyle, thank you for the compliment.  We are glad you were able to make it, it was great to meet you.

Beau, good to see you again - glad t o hear your tank is doing well. 

See everyone next month at the Christmas party!

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 06:26:23 AM »
Rick could to lower light output be due to bulb devlopment? My biggest frustration is Not able to get a 72 " T-5 bulb .
 Still ruuning VHO for MH supplment.
Thanks for sharing this Rick and you too Ed ;D
Jeff

Just to chime in on my evaluation.

I had a 240 gal tank setup (8ft long) with 4ea. 4ft VHO bulbs driven by an Ice Cap 660 electronic ballast and used for actinic supplementation.  There was a lot of discussion among the reef forums on how great the T5 bulbs were working for everyone, so I bought a complete 4 bulb T5 actinic setup with reflectors.  I only installed the T5 bulbs on one side of the tank so I could compare the difference between the T5 & VHO's.  The difference was significant, the VHO's produced a lot more light in the true actinic spectrum whereas the T5's produced actinic but also what appeared to be white light which washed out the actinic.  I tried a different set of T5 bulbs to be sure it was not the particular brand of T5's and it did not make much difference.

Bottom line, the VHO's put out more blue and create more fluorescing of the coral colors.  Now if I could find single T-12 tube, 6 ft long reflectors I would be in great shape.

Rick

R   
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff