Author Topic: What kind of algae is this?  (Read 4505 times)

Offline jerryB

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
What kind of algae is this?
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
I have this fern looking algae growing in my tank. It grows very rapidly but does not spread out very fast... What is it?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:59:19 AM by jerryB »

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Re: What kind of algae is this?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
looks like feather calurpa - once it takes off, it can be a real pain.  I'd get it out while you don't have much, and stay on top of it if more shows up.

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
Hi Nate,

I sent some of it to an aquaintance of mine in Ohio who has had bad experience with the feather calpura and he says it is not feather calpura. It has been in my tank for several months and doesnt really spread but I dont want to take any chances. If this is feather calpura, is there anything that likes to eat this? Thanks!

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
I am not sure which  type of Macro it is.   But if you ever are concerned with a Macro and just want to get rid of it.   You can put it a plastic bag and freeze it, then after frozen put it in garbage.   You never just want to throw it down drain.

California had a issue with Mexicana Calurpa.   MC no longer allowed to be shipped in the California.

I am looking for Macro Algae right now.   I am in the process of loading  my 20 gallon tall with several types of Macro algae for Seahorses. 
come over and see..:)

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
I would be happy  to drop  off a couple of these "weeds" for you to examine and/or use. It is actually kind of pretty  looking, but being new to this hobby I certainly want to be cautious about what I have in my tank.

Offline jimbo

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »
 i got some of that stuff it grows slow at first then becomes a thick mat. my tangs and blennies just watch it grow. it does provide home for copepod to live but i like the fact that i can throw away alot of phosphates in a handful. Ed told us all awhile back that raising you magnesium will kill it and other algaes off and that is true just remember that if you have a refugium those plants are gone too.hope this helps. :-\

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »
Bottom line..... good or bad to have in the tank?

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:32:28 AM »
Bottom line..... good or bad to have in the tank?

Basically, just keep an eye on it.  If it starts to take off, start pulling it out as close to the anchor point as you can.  If it doesn't spread very quickly, then as Jim said, it'll help keep your levels down.

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help. I feel a little better about it now knowing that it isnt going to cause a catastrophe. At one time I had a lettuce nudibranch that loved to munch on the stuff, and did a pretty darn good job of mowing it down, but it died. My Naso Tang wont touch it though, nor will the crabs or snails.

Offline trigirl

• Goby
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 07:27:59 AM »
I purchased a pair of Lettuce Nudibranch several months ago to help with a Bryopsis problem, and I now have 9 baby nudibranch, several are big enough to move on to a new home. If you'd like a few let me know.

Kristen

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »
That sounds great Kristen! I would love to have another one or two. Just let me know when it would be convenient. Thanks!

Jerry

Offline tropicalqualities

• Goby
    • Tropical Qualities
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 01:25:48 AM »
i have the same thing over taking one of my tanks, but i have a mix of SPS and soft corals and if i raise my magnesium it will kill my softies but if you only have LPS and SPS the magnesium will cause it to release from the rock but this is one of those try at your own risk things your softy's might not be hurt from it but this is what i have been told !
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
Hello Derek,
      Are you using a refugeum?
come over and see..:)

Offline tropicalqualities

• Goby
    • Tropical Qualities
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 05:28:20 PM »
no fuge on that tank one of my biggest regrets , i got it as a hitch hiker
When on the road to sweet Athy, Hurroo Hurroo When on the road to sweet Athy A stick in the hand, A drop in the eye A doleful damsel I heard cry , Johnny I hardly knew ya