Author Topic: Has anyone here owned/bred seahorses?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline MrsBode

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
Has anyone here owned/bred seahorses?
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of seahorses, and was hoping that someone with a little experience might take me under their wing.

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
Re: Has anyone here owned/bred seahorses?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:53:46 PM »
Rick and I and possibly others have kept seahorses.  If possible, get Captive Bred (CB) since they eat well and have fewer health problems.  At the least get Tank Raised (TR) that have been trained to eat frozen mysis.  You can also purchase the dwarf (H. zosterae) seahorses which get no more than an inch long, but they will need a small tank (2-10G) and a constant source of live food, usually newly hatched baby brine shrimp (called bbs or nauplii on the seahorse forums).

In either case, you will need a mostly dedicated tank.  Seahorses have no fear of predators but are easily stressed by fast moving creatures.  They will happily sting themselves to death by hitching onto anemones or LPS, will try to play with the crabs and will repeatedly violate the space of territorial fish.  They are also commonly burned by hitching to in-tank heaters and sucked into even small water intakes.

All that said, they are fascinating animals to watch, very playful and social.  They are my kids' favorite animals and the main interest of visitors to my house.  I would highly recommend http://seahorse.org/ and http://syngnathids.org for information and helpful community forums.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »
I was considering seahorses at one time and found this source for buying the dwarf seahorses online, but know nothing of the company, Cramer's Caribbean Critters. http://www.ccritters.com/id2.html

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
I read a little bit about seahorses.   I went to one presentation for Seahorses at the Seattle Aquarium by probably the best known Northwest Breeder.   

I have a 20 gallon tall I was getting ready to set up.  Except for wife would not allow me to do it.   It is tank, stand, air pump with undergravel filter.   Encased Heater with PVC. 

If anyone wants to buy it, They can have it for $50 dollars.   That is what I have into it.

I was planning on doing the Reidi seahorses.   I was researching ORA Reidi Seahorses.   They are already weened on Mysis.   I planned on using Live rock without any Hydroids and placing sponge and gorgonians in tank.   Barbie at Aquarium Solutions in Spokane can get ORA seahorses.    I think she saw my Tank for Seahorses.   She hit me up on Seahorses.   If I can get Stace convinced I will do them.  Who knows the tank may just be set up one day when she is gone.   That is what she does to me.  He he.  ;)
come over and see..:)

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:42:49 PM »

I raised dwarfs for a while.  They are very cute and easy to breed.  They do take a lot of time to care for.  Raising brine shrimp and feeding morning and night.  I found the best place to buy them was from reeftopia.com

Here are some picture of my dwarfs.

Rico
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline Cannedmulder

• Goby
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
I have a friend who is selling me her 26 gal that we are going to set up for seahorses.  My husband likes my 120 gal but he really wants seahorses.  They can't go in my big tank so I have him talked into the other!!