Author Topic: Wandering Bubble Tip  (Read 2122 times)

Offline jerryB

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
Wandering Bubble Tip
« on: September 01, 2009, 10:48:35 AM »
I need some advise regarding a recently aquired bubble tip and its current location. I woke up last Saturday morning to see that my new bubble tip had squeezed about 3/4 of his body through a tiny intake slot (barely large enough to slip a 50 cent piece into I might add) to the built-in sump of my Oceanic Biocube. About 15 minutes later it was entirely inside the 3"x3"x3" area. If any of you are familiar with this type of tank you will know that there is absolutely no access to this area without cutting out the wall. I seriously doubt that Oceanic considered this situation while designing the tank. Anyways my question is this, "should I wait it out and see if it comes out on its own or perform surgery to my tank and remove it ?" There is very little light that gets into this area and my concern is that it will just die in there due to poor lighting. Will this anemone come to its senses and realize that it can't live in the hole it climbed into? Its been 4 days now and that doesnt seem likely at this point.

Offline fogish

• Goby
Re: Wandering Bubble Tip
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »
My limited experience with this exact problem is they don't come back out. Figure out the easiest way to seal it back up before you cut it open and if you are worried about it happening again get a fine mesh to cover the slot and then enjoy the daily check, and possible cleaning of a side of the tank you don't see very much.

You can also hook up a big protein skimmer and do more frequent water changes for a while. No surgery but a likely tank crash from a dead anemone in a Biocube.

Offline jerryB

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
Well, I ended up cutting out vented slots to the sump area so the anemone could get out last night, and as of this morning he was almost entirely out! Glad to see that! Also, has anyone had a 3-spot (Domino) damsel host in a bubble tip? Mine is doing that. I may get a picture to post if anyone is interested in seeing that

Offline dakota's dad

• Damselfish
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
I have heard of this but have never seen it.
Paul:75gal aga w/ 400 xm 10k, 175 xm 10k & 24" t8 actinic with fish, sps skeletons & a few shrooms. 20 gal w/fish,enemones, lps & softies

Offline jimbo

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:32:58 PM »
ha. just when you thought you knew it all. oct. FAMA mag has a story about damsels and yes clownfish are in that family. check it out. :o