Author Topic: Lots of new members joining the forums...  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Nate C.

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
Lots of new members joining the forums...
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:40:29 AM »
Just wanted to put up a post for a place to have all these new names I keep seeing joining the forums to come in and say hello.

All you new members, come on in and say hello, and let us know what you have for tanks, and what your interests in the hobby are!

I'll even start:

Colleen had a 75 gallon tank when we met in 2001.  I'd never had saltwater before.  We moved up from that tank to a 155 gallon bowfront after finding this club (bought from Rico - club president at the time).  We also made the move from softies and LPS to SPS around this time as well.  We now have a 269 gallon in-wall tank (built the house around the tank - literally, the foundation is 12" thick under the stand!) and a dedicated "fish room" for all the equipment and our frag tank and QT tank.  Lucky for us, we are both very interested in the hobby, and are good ad different roles - she does a majority of the work in the tank, and I do most of the maintaining of the system (filter changes, water changes, water chemistry, equipment adjustment etc.)

We are still mostly into SPS, but just added 7 new maxima clams, a bunch of bright colored Zoa's and several brains of different types.

Pictures of the build process can be seen at www.canfieldreef.com  The tank itself can be seen at the April meeting at our place!

Offline BEAU

• Goby
  • Hawaiian Slipper Lobster
Re: Lots of new members joining the forums...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:28:15 PM »
Hi, I'm Beau and I am addicted like most of you out there.  Had all sorts of tanks ever since I could remember and even worked in a pet store just to get the discount. My wife, two sons and I are from Honolulu Hawaii.  This may raise alot Of eyebrows and my reason for moving here is that we could not pay the high prices any more and we liked the area for the kids. 

My tank is an oceanic 55 on a maple stand and matching canopy.  Not much but it's what I'm working with.

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:44:08 AM »
Welcome Beau and family!
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »
Mehalo Beau and Family!   Nice to see ya at meeting.   Before you buy something holler on here.  We are not from Hawaii but we want you to feel at home. 
come over and see..:)

PL Roxi

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »
Hi :)
I'm Roxanne, I'm aquatic's manager at Petland, I have freshwater at home, but am tryng to learn all I can. For two reason's, I've always wanted to do saltwater, but lacked the knowledge I felt I needed to try. And of course so I can do the best job possible keeping healthy fish at work. I've learned quite bit in the last month or so, but have oh so much left to learn!
I have to say Nathan and Colleen have been very helpful in making sure our saltwater section gets off to a great start! Thank You! :)

2 55gal, 1 29gal, 1 20 gal, 3 10 gal, and assorted from 5 all the way to 1 gal tanks. All Freshwater. :-[

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
Hi Roxanne!  Good to see you on here!  :-)  I think you are definitely on the right track, did you talk Dan into putting skimmers on the tanks there yet?  Keep Colleen and I posted on that, we have that hammer ready to come in for you as soon as he does. ;-)  Don't hesitate to ask if you run into a situation you aren't sure about.  With the number of club members we have here, chances are, someone's been through it before.

Nate

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »
Hi Roxanne! Welcome! Nate is right....I think when I first started I had every issue you could with a tank!
Good luck and keep trudging!
~Dashia
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!

Offline Cartman

• Goby
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »
 Part of the fun is the learning how to get the tank just like you want it.
I'm dead sexy !   75 Gallon Nano Tank

Offline ReefJunkie

• Goby
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »
Guess it's my turn.  My name is Richard.  I have been into saltwater since 05.  I was a former member here (PDAJunkie) until a couple of years ago.  I got married a couple of years ago and during my move I had left my 75gal tank up in my old place.  I was not in a hurry to move it because I wanted to do it right.  I guess word got out, anyway to make a long story short my tank was stolen and sold to a LFS here in Kennewick.  I lost everything but managed to get my tank back and things back up and running.  I had it set up in our garage as I have a 180 I'm working on to go into the house.  This last December we went to Leavenworth for 4 days for the Christmas lighting.  Another long story, short, we didn't get our garage door shut, so it stayed open during the four days we were gone.  Just so happened that is when we had that nice little cold front come in.  Anyway, lost everything again.  I thought about just getting out of the hobby for good, but like a lot of you, I'm addicted, so am on my way to starting over again.  Right now I have a 29gal up and running as my quarantine tank and my 75 is on the downhill side on a cycle.  I haven't touched my 180 in awhile but need to get back on a schedule.  I currently have 2 holes drilled for a closed loop with about 4 holes yet to be drilled.  Looking forward to meeting everyone as time permits.  Sounds like the convention this year is going to be awesome. Really looking forward to hearing from the speakers this year.  Take care all.
~ Richard
Just when you think you got your head screwed on straight. . . Your butt falls off. :confused:

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 05:32:42 PM »
Richard-
Good to see you again.  It's been a year and a half!  Do you need me to reset the password and/or change the nick on your old account here?
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »
Sorry to hear about the troubles and frustrations Richard.  That's no fun at all.  If you can make the meeting on the 17th, you are welcome to look at how Rick and I set up the system for Colleen and I.  May be some ideas for you to steal and get you back up and going on that 180!  :-)

Nate

Offline ReefJunkie

• Goby
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:20:44 AM »
psa: Actually you can just delete the old one and I'll use this one.  Doesn't matter to me, which ever is easiest.  It appears that I don't have access to the members section yet, though.  Can you fix that?

Nate:  Looking forward to the meeting if I can make it.  Would love to check out the 180.
~ Richard
Just when you think you got your head screwed on straight. . . Your butt falls off. :confused:

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »
Richard, access to the member section is granted when dues are paid.  If you have paid for this year already, it's probably due to the new user name.

Offline reefbegood

• Goby
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »
Hello,, I'm grant moving me and my reef to the Tri city area from Columbus

Hope they make it LOL
135g LPS 135g SPS  2 125g and 90 sps lps frag system 55 rose garden and  clown fish grow out pin and few others!
Love helping and teaching all! 25 years in saltwater.

Offline Nate C.

• Trigger
    • Canfield Reef
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »
Welcome Grant!  Look forward to meeting you once you make the Tri-Cities.  Be sure to let us know if we can be any help when you get here.  I know what it's like to move a tank full of stuff (although, a couple hours is all the further I've ever moved one...I've heard that an inverter to run a heater and an air pump does wonders).

Best of luck with the move.  Hope to see you at a meeting in the near future.