Author Topic: would spraying for bugs affect my saltwater tank?  (Read 4266 times)

Offline reefjosh

• Goby
would spraying for bugs affect my saltwater tank?
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:13:12 PM »
My house has a bug problem and I would like to have a professional come and spray, but I don't know if it is safe to spray with a saltwater aquarium. I am afraid that the bug spray would affect my aquarium and possibly kill some of my livestock.

So can someone please tell me if it would be safe to spray for bugs or not.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:20:53 AM by reefjosh »
135 gallon 6 foot reef tank packed with some amazing fish and coral and a red sea max 250 in the works and a little 30 gallon clam tank just for the heck of it.

Offline na.lamar

• Goby
Re: would spraying for bugs affect my saltwater tank?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:16:06 AM »
I'm sure if it got in the water it wouldn't be good.  Cover your tank with something and leave it on while they spray and a little afterwards to let the chemicals settle then remove the covering.  I'd think this would be the best way to deal with that.

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »
I would communicate with exterminator.   Tell him you have a concern with how long particulates will be in the air.    I would also try to learn what agent he is using to exterminate and research it.   

I have heard of people covering thier tanks for short time with plastic.   I would be concerned with air intakes even after covering tank.    You want water movement to keep water oxygenated.    When you cover your tank you slow down the gas exchange.    I would monitor your ph if you could.    If ph does not drop suddenly.   I would assume you are Ok while tank is covered.
come over and see..:)

Offline luvnsalt

• Tang
  • One day at a time!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
We had a guy come and spray for spiders last spring and he said we needed to cover with a sheet and leave on for about an hour after he was done. Everything turned out great. ;D
75g with 2 Clowns, Yellow Tang, Coral banded shrimp, scooter blenny, sandsifter star, Misc. corals, Snails,  and Hermit crabs, 2 anenomes!