Author Topic: Club Meeting is at Rod Harrington's House on Feb 28th @7pm.  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Club Meeting is at Rod Harrington's House on Feb 28th @7pm.
« on: February 17, 2004, 12:56:27 PM »
Rod Lives at 1114 S. Highlands Place in Kennewick.  If you take 395 towards Hermiston, you take a left on 27th to Olympia Street (corner with gas station and Fire Dept).   You turn right at Olympia.   Go to Highlands Place turn left and Rod lives  on the left side of street about 3/4's way down or more.   I am sure you will recognize some of the club members cars there.  I am pretty sure it is a Brown house?  

Rods # 586-8354
my cell # 948-4013 (Ed)

Hope to see you there!
Ed
come over and see..:)

Bait

I'll be there!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 09:44:07 PM »
Looking forward to the meeting this Saturday.  I hope we have a good showing.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 07:26:26 AM »
lmao...Hong Kong Phooie.... :lol:

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 07:30:19 AM »
I am trying to get a head count for Saturdays meeting?  So it is easier to prepare.   So far I know Rick Berg, HONG KONG PHOOIE< TOM,  ME, and Rod for sure.   Can everyone let me or Rod know ASAP please?

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 02:22:10 PM »
I'm new in the area (or rather, back after 12 years away) and in the process of trying to get my 55G reef reestablished.  I would be interested in learning more about this group and meeting everyone.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 02:30:26 PM »
PSA,
   you can call me at 509-374-0815 or 509-948-4013.   or email me a home @ esmzhahn@verizon.net.     I can not get on forum at home..
 :D hope to meet you,
Ed

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 10:31:48 AM »
PSA,
   You missed a good time.  Rod and his wife treated us to very good.  We ate like Kings.  We drank like Kings.  We talked about water quality.  We tested one of Rods Big Beast of Tanks.   Rod has a 180 gallon Reef with Fish.   We also talked to Rod about his New Beast coming soon,  His new Beast being a 300 gallon tank.   We were served Cheese Cake too.    :wink: The viewing of a Movie of the Coral Reef on a Big Screen TV.   I mean Big Screen, A 65 inch TV was cool.    Rod and Cindy made us feel at home.
A few people brought frags to give away and trade.  Its nice to be able to talk about your hobby with friends.  We also discussed the possibility of a list  of names of members for emergency tank problems.   That being a network of people incase you have a emergency in your tank.   PSA, if you want to be educated more about your hobby, if you want to learn from others mistakes, save money, be more successful with your reef, I think and others will agree there is no other place to be in the Tri-cities.  :D    Come on in...The water is fine.   The hospitality is unbeatable!

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 10:36:17 AM »
:D Thank YOU Rod and Cindy for the Great time.  I am sorry to keep you guys up so late.  :D

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 01:05:12 AM »
I'm sorry I missed it.  I really had planned to go, but a few things came up and I was unable to.

Among the excitement was the final great demise of my tank.  The moral of the story is that moving a large DSB is a bad idea.  Or maybe it's that the one thing you don't test for will get you.  I tested for all of the regular things when I set the tank back up and let it run for a while to make sure the system was stable.  It looked great, but when I moved stuff into it, it died within 30 minutes.  The culprit?  Sulfer compounds that got churned up from the disturbed DSB when it was moved...  The smell was quite strong in the sand and some of the dying rock, even though I could smell nothing amiss at the surface.  The tank had been quite healthy before it was moved.

Anyway, I have nothing alive now since I took down my other tank before I moved and the last of what I brought (fish, corals, polyps, crabs, etc.) died.  Since I'm in a temporary location at the moment and expect to be moving (within the area) to a new (permanent) place in a year, it's tempting to just get rid of the tank and rock and start over then.  Adding insult to injury, my protein skimmer cracked in the move.
So, I guess I just had to let that out somewhere.  I'll be back for advice most likely when I decide what to do.

Later.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Ed

• Trigger
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 06:35:42 AM »
PSA,
     The fun thing about this group is that we share information, time, and mistakes.  DSB can be very harmful when disturbed as more and more are finding out.   I am sorry to hear about your loss.  If there is something I can do let me know?   Again, the meetings are a place where we all get together talk about what happened and then discuss what we might have done differently.   I have a few big rubbermaid trash cans if you do this again.   I also have a extra power head to keep water moving for circulation.    We have a few people in the club that are very, very good with working with acrylic.  There are also shops that may be able to fix it locally.     You still have your tank, skimmer, powerheads, rock, and etc.    I hope you still have the love for the hobby?    Maybe a trip to someone elses tank in the Club would do you good?   My opinion is every person in this club would have tried to help you if they could.   My opinion is that people love this hobby so much that they enjoy helping.   I hope you keep this in mind.    Again, My opinion is we are all addicted to this...We should be called Addicted to Salt.    Often times people are misled with information.     We have nothing to gain with someone joining but trust, enjoyment of sharing a hobby, someone sharing a frag, and often a smile.  
The water is fine...come on in...Ed