Author Topic: Recent talk on foods in Poulsbo, Washington.  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Ed

• working together to make this hobby enjoyable for all...
  • MCSAC Board of Directors
  • Trigger
  • Working as one to promote anyone willing to learn
Recent talk on foods in Poulsbo, Washington.
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:47:27 PM »
Recently some of us went to Poulsbo for a education on Foods, preparation of foods for fish.
We learned as a group to test for phosphates in foods. Comparisons of foods were posted on Wall around The 1200 gallon plus Reef Tank.   
  We recently learned that pellets and flakes have a lot of fillers in them, gelatin binders, a lot of bi product that often produce unwanted algae in our Aquariums.   I learned my favorite food has wheat in it.    That wheat has no use but to provide food for algae. 

The meeting taught us to use whole foods rinsed and blended together.   The meeting taught us to go back to natural foods.  The foods were rinsed in RO/DI water in a Bucket.   Then put into a food processor.  Foods such as shrimp, scallops, cyclopeez, Dapnea, diced nori, vitamins, Zoecon, etc were  Dumped into a bowl to make frozen food for your fish.   The food packets were left for those that attended meeting to take home.   

Maybe this is why you have unwanted algae in your tank.   I hope this helps someone in future. 

come over and see..:)