Author Topic: aiptasia  (Read 2916 times)

Offline btrue

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
aiptasia
« on: October 08, 2007, 04:05:22 PM »
I have a lot of small aiptasia anomones growing in my tank. I found that Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) is one of the fastest and best ways to kill them. Dose anyone have any suggestions or comments? 

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/aiptasia_control.html

Offline The Apprentice

• Tang
    • http://www.eoni.com/~quailxng/
Re: aiptasia
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:14 AM »
Btrue your on the best method for getting the job done. If you looking for other ways Its been said that Copperband Butterfly - Chelmon rostratus will eat them However they need a tank Greater than > 100 gallons in size. I don't know how big you tank is. another smaller approch is using Peppermint Shrimp - Lysmata wurdemanni they are very resonablly priced and seem to do a so-so job on these aiptasia anomones.

But i think the that Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) is one of the fastest and best ways to kill them. and not change you bio-load good luck hope this helps...Jeff

I have a lot of small aiptasia anomones growing in my tank. I found that Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) is one of the fastest and best ways to kill them. Dose anyone have any suggestions or comments? 

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/aiptasia_control.html
150 gallon LPS reef Set up March 04
75 gallon SPS reef Set up Dec 04
Oceanic sump's #2&3,Mag drive pumps
PFO HORIZONTAL LIGHT, Aqua C skimmers

375 lbs live rock, Clams,lots of fish,SPS softies,Zoos,Anomes,And a few Pistol shrimps! all kinds of stuff

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 04:07:10 PM »
From what I can find from different websites on the internet says that Sodium Hydroxide will kill aiptasia when it touches it or a few seconds later. It will also kill algae and corals. If you have a big algae problem, and you have to remove the algae today for some reason, you can use Sodium Hydroxide to kill the algae. You can also use Sodium Hydroxide to keep zoanthids or some other coral that spreads very quickly under control.

You have to be careful when using Sodium Hydroxide around corals that you dont want to kill.

My favorite part about using Sodium Hydroxide to kill aiptasia is: you don't have to inject the aiptasia to kill it. Just place a drop(or more for bigger aiptasia) in the center of it. 8)       

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »
Brian,

You have found what I have been using for years.  Red Devil Lye (aka Sodium Hydroxide)  You do need to be careful in smaller tanks that you do not spike the PH, as Sodium Hydroxide is a strong base and can raise the Ph significantly.  I use it for killing hair algae and corals that are encroaching upon other corals.  I jokingly call it "Reef Roundup".

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:29:17 PM »
I went to ACE Hardware today and they did not have any Red Devil Lye, so I bought another brand of Sodium Hydroxide. I think that it killed the aiptasia, but I will not know for sure until tomarrow or the next day.