Author Topic: brown stuff  (Read 2361 times)

Offline btrue

• MidColumbia Saltwater Aquarium Club Member
  • Goby
brown stuff
« on: September 17, 2007, 06:38:46 PM »
There is some brown stuff on my sand. You can kind of see it in the pictures. It almost looks like some kind of algae or stuff from my live rock.

Offline psa

• Administrator
  • Damselfish
  • reef gardener
Re: brown stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:02:47 PM »
Looks like diatoms--should clear up in a few weeks, but you can siphon it off if you want.
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

Offline Rico

• Tang
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »
If it is a golden brown and just a film it is likely diatoms.  They almost always appear after a new tank setup and feed on silica which is in high concentration in new tanks and if you were to do a 100% water change or close to it.

However if they are a darker brown or even have a reddish tint with what may look like strings or filaments comming from it.  Also it will form in mats on the sand and rocks, then you have "Red Slime Algae" or Cyanobacteria.  http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/microalgae/a/aa092800.htm

To clear this up you need more water flow in the area where it is growing, and should cut back on feedings and possibly look into a better skimmer if you still can't get rid of it.

Rick
Rick Berg
240 Gal Acrylic IAP tank
Propagating SPS Corals

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »
It's not a slime. It's almost like diatoms that fell of the glass and the rocks.

Here's pictures of it when there is water flow is directed at the sand.

Offline btrue

• Goby
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:08:23 PM »
I am getting a lot of diatoms growing on my sand and glass. Shouls I get some PhosGuard(Seachem) to control the silicates and phosphates?